Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How are you! My boyfriend is going to apply the k1 visa but…

Hello how are you...

Hello how are you ! My boyfriend is going to apply the k1 visa but we have a problem is , when I was go through the custom , I got denied entry LA about 2 or 3 years ago and I got sent back to my country then, it was because they found out that I smoked marijuana couple times when i was visiting my boyfriend in LA before with my ESTA visa, so they canceled my ESTA visa but no charge or others ,they just told me that I have this record with me from then. they said I still can visit USA , just need to apply a wavier or something ?! its just it bothers us so much, should we hire a lawyer ? please help us with this problem ,thank you so much.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No I don't think so , they didn't give me anything just wrote down something on my passport

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much for the price to do this ? sorry my lack of English , I'm not a native hope you don't mind

11/17/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Yes, you will need a waiver for the K-1 fiance visa. A lawyer is not a necessity, but having one can be helpful to make sure that you do everything right the first time and that you make your case as strong as possible so that you can be approved. So again, the lawyer is not an obligation but many people find it it better in cases like this to hire an attorney to help in the case. it is your choice, but it is recommended.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Jen ,thank you so much for the answer !! so.. we have to apply the waiver and k1 visa at the same time , is that right? and what kind of waiver do I need and how much for the waiver also for hiring a lawyer? thank you very much:)

First you apply for the K-1 visa and when you go to the interview, you apply for the waiver. It is the I-601 waiver. The cost of the waiver is $930. https://www.uscis.gov/i-601

The cost of the attorney varies by city and state. I cannot tell you exactly but it ranges from $1500-$3000 for just the waiver.

Thank you ! and lately I did some research about the process , ppl talk about the k1 visa will be denied at the end of the interview by the U.S embassy in my country (Taiwan ) and they will require the I-161 waiver from me afterward ,is this correct ? i'm kinda confused , so does this mean that we will need to go through the k1 visa process again and re-apply everything again even the visa fee? if not , will the k1 visa expire when we are waiting for the approval of I-601 waiver, and how long will it take to get the approval of I-601 ? do you think we will get the approval ? ( the picture shows that the only info they put on my passport, they didn't give me any document or copy of paper.. ) Thank you so much for the help, I really worry about it !!

Yes, that is what I have explained above. You will be denied and then submit waiver.

No you dont apply for K-1 all over again necessarily. It will remain valid while you await waiver decision.

I-601 varies but can be about 4 months to about 9 months on average.

Unfortunately I could not know yoru chances of approval without studying your case. We're not allowed to give info like that just general information.

You're very welcome. Good luck!

Thank you Jen, now I know what to do:)I have another problem is about I-129 form , it requires physical address and work history for the last 5 years, but the problem is during the time i spent 2years in Australia for traveling and working as a backpacker so I changed places and jobs for several times, but I don't remember some of the address and info of jobs,can I just fill out those I remember ? Thanks for your time !!!!

Unfortunately, you will have to try to remember the addresses to the best of your ability. There is no way around that. Try your hardest and just put down the information you remember. You do not have to list hotels or places you just stayed a few weeks.