Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If I want to get a visa for my girlfriend to come see me for…

Customer Question
If I want to...

If I want to get a visa for my girlfriend to come see me for a week or so could I marry her while she is hear if I wanted to

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I do but I havent sent it in

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes but didnt asked about this

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/17/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

It is not illegal to marry someone who is in the US as a visitor with a tourist visa. However, it is considered illegal for a person to come to the US with a tourist visa with intentions marry and then to stay and apply for a green card while in the US. If the foreign person has intentions to just come and visit and then leave but then while they're here, they suddenly decide to stay in the US and apply for a green card, then that is legal. The difference here is the intention upon entering the US. The person can't with the intention to stay but if they decide to stay later on, once they're in the US, that's different and possible.

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

-----------------

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

HI again, I see you were able to view my answer. Did you have any additional clarifications needed?

I don't see questions or that you left feedback. Please note that is the only way we receive any credit as experts for our time here on the website.