Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm flying to Thailand from Hawaii through china December 17…

I'm flying to Thailand from...
I'm flying to Thailand from Hawaii through china December 17 through the first of January
Do I need a visa for either country?
Looks like 9 biz days in thai if they don't celebrate xmas
11/17/2017
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

If you are a US citizen, then no you do not need a visa to stop in China as long as you have a confirmed ticket to fly to Thailand.

For Thailand you also don't need a visa if you're a US citizen, as long as you're staying there fewer than 30 days and your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your entry there.

-----------------

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
On the return trip we were not allowed to board the airplane to china because we had no visa.
Even though we were going to be in the country for less than 72 hours, we had two layovers. Our plane tickets were forfeit and we had to buy new tickets to return to Hawaii. It cost over 2000 dollars. I wish you would have told us this- we would have just gotten visas

Your question to me very clearly stated "I'm flying to Thailand from Hawaii through China." You did not state that you would be in China more than 24 hours. If you were going to be there less than 24 hours in transit, then you do NOT need a visa. More than 24 hours you also do not need a visa if it's less than 72 hours and confirmed flight. If that was your case, then they made a mistake. I'm very sorry this happened to you but, the information I gave you was correct.

You can read about it here under 1) and 2) http://au.china-embassy.org/eng/ls/vfc/t1038742.htm

The airline said the problem was that we had 2 stops within the country. We had confirmed flights

Ok, that is an exception and was not included in your question to me.