Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Friend who is a UK citizen arrived at DIA this evening, and…

Customer Question
Friend who is a...

Friend who is a UK citizen arrived at DIA this evening, and immigration authorities will not let her leave the airport because she does not have a return ticket, told her she must return to the UK, and she is not allowed to purchase a return ticket while in the U.S. Is there nothing she can

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Is there nothing she can do to avoid having to return to U.K tomorrow?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The U.K. person is my son's girl friend.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/17/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.

As I am doing so, keep in mind that a normal part of dealing with complicated legal issues is that you might experience some delays. Please do not opt me out expecting a faster response. This will only result in further delays. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job.

Keep in mind, I can only give you truthful information. Simply telling you only what you want to hear is not the purpose of this site. So if you are upset at your situation but the quality of my answer is good, please do not give me a negative rating. I am only a messenger. And if you want more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you.

ANSWER: Unfortunately, there isn't anything anyone can do. Border officers are required to presume that an individual entering the US as a visitor has immigrant intent; the burden of successfully rebutting that presumption lies with the applicant for entry. If she failed to meet the burden to the satisfaction of the border officer, he is well within his authority to detain her until the morning and send her back on the first available flight.

One of the ways that an individual can rebut that presumption is showing they have the intent to return when their stay ends. And the easiest, minimally persuasive way of showing this is with a return ticket. Without that, many officers turn visitors away from the US.

Unfortunately, she is just one of many people who has had to go through this type of experience. Even more unfortunate is the fact that there is no immediate remedy. She will have to leave the US and attempt to return in the future.

I'm really very sorry. But again, this is not my doing. I am just here to provide quality, honest information. I hope I have done that.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Do you need more help?

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer