Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was always afraid to apply for my husbands american papers…

Customer Question
I was always afraid...

I was always afraid to apply for my husbands american papers because i feared that he only married me for his papers. i waited many years until i got them and then after i got them he left me six months after receiving them. is that illegal what he did or not.?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

Is it considered legal that my husband left me six months after receiving his american papers that i filed for him as far as immigration laws are concerned

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No because i dont know if what he did requires me reporting what he did or not

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I cant afford a lawyer, he left me without any money and he took everything we had saved

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/15/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

is this a scam because i am good at attracting scam artist
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm very sorry to hear this happened.

How long were you two married before he left? ..The longer the span of the marriage, the harder it may be to prove that it was a "sham marriage" for immigration purposes only.

However if you feel that it was in fact a sham marriage, not a genuine one, then you can most definitely report this to USCIS.

If you have any text messages, or witnesses to statements that he made, or anything else that could provide evidence of his intention for your marriage to be solely for legal immigration status, then you should provide this to USCIS, and it would help establish his fraudulent intentions.

Once you make a report to USCIS, they will launch an investigation, and then take action if they find that there is enough evidence to prove his intentions were for immigration purposes only.

Here is the number to USCIS that you would call to begin this process:

1(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

no because now i am getting scammed more money that i cannot afford my husband left me penniless
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

You can disregard the phone call request, it is auto generated by the site.

Did you receive my prior response?

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I've resent my prior response, in case you had not received it.

I'm very sorry to hear this happened. How long were you two married before he left? ..The longer the span of the marriage, the harder it may be to prove that it was a "sham marriage" for immigration purposes only. However if you feel that it was in fact a sham marriage, not a genuine one, then you can most definitely report this to USCIS. If you have any text messages, or witnesses to statements that he made, or anything else that could provide evidence of his intention for your marriage to be solely for legal immigration status, then you should provide this to USCIS, and it would help establish his fraudulent intentions. Once you make a report to USCIS, they will launch an investigation, and then take action if they find that there is enough evidence to prove his intentions were for immigration purposes only. Here is the number to USCIS that you would call to begin this process:1(###) ###-####/strong> I hope that helps!Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask fo
my questioned was not answered and i am calling to cancel the transaction if i dont get an answer soon.
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
I'm very sorry to hear this happened. How long were you two married before he left? ..The longer the span of the marriage, the harder it may be to prove that it was a "sham marriage" for immigration purposes only. However if you feel that it was in fact a sham marriage, not a genuine one, then you can most definitely report this to USCIS. If you have any text messages, or witnesses to statements that he made, or anything else that could provide evidence of his intention for your marriage to be solely for legal immigration status, then you should provide this to USCIS, and it would help establish his fraudulent intentions. Once you make a report to USCIS, they will launch an investigation, and then take action if they find that there is enough evidence to prove his intentions were for immigration purposes only. Here is the number to USCIS that you would call to begin this process:1(###) ###-####/strong> I hope that helps!Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!