Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I know someone with an R Class BBCV visa. She wants to get…

Customer Question
I know someone with...

I know someone with an R Class BBCV visa. She wants to get her green card and I am trying to navigate through a lot of data. Is it true what I am seeing that says she cannot work in the US with this visa???

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I'm as American as it gets. This really is about a close friend who I would like to help be a US citizen but doesn't have $10k to make it happen.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I have been trying to figure this out myself. I am pretty smart and capable of navigating the US legal system. I am not a lawyer but have had many experiences with various legal forums. Just nothing like this unfortunately.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can she get in trouble working here with that visa?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/14/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Yes this is true. Unfortunately the BBCV is a Mexico Border Crossing card and it does not allow the person using it to work in the US. It functions like a tourist visa and the person holding it can only use it for tourist purposes (visit the US and depart).

The BBCV alone also does not give any basis for a green card. She would need to have an employer petition her for a green card if her visa is not expired. If it is , then the only other way to get a green card at this point is if she married a US citizen of if she had a child over 21 years old who petitions for her green card.

Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago

HI again, I see you were able to view my answer. Did you have any additional clarifications needed?

I don't see questions or that you left feedback. Please note that you leaving a good rating with the stars on the top of the page is the only way we receive any credit as experts for our time here on the website. Thanks in advance.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney