Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How are you Today? I have question about my resident ( card)

Customer Question
Hey, How are you...

Hey, How are you Today ? I have question about my resident (Green card)

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

I came to U.S with fiace visa and I got my green card (conditional resident ) for two years ,but my husband want to divorce So, what should I do for my conditional resident ? what options I have ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I just want to know what are the options I have? and what are the steps ?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/14/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. If he files for divorce but agrees to sign the I-751 release of conditional residence, then you can still get permanent residency. Even if there is a divorce (pending or finalized), provided he signs off on the I-751 and states via affidavit or in person at the interview that the marriage was valid and simply did not last, USCIS will normally push through the I-751.

If he refuses to sign off on the I-751 (and files for or finalizes the divorce), then you can still request a waiver of his signature and push through the I-751 yourself if you can show that:

-removal from US would be an extreme hardship;

-you entered into marriage in good faith but it simply did not last; or

-you were a battered spouse.

See HERE.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.