Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife who lives in Ghana is attempting to fly to the USA…

Customer Question
My wife who lives...

My wife who lives in Ghana is attempting to fly to the USA to be with me. She was given a necklace by a family member in June 2017. She tried to bring it with her and didn't have proof that the necklace was hers..She was deported to Ghana and jailed as a smuggler. She is out now and tried to fly home this past Sunday and was stopped by immigration officers and charged with 5625 dollars in back taxes for the necklace. I do not have money to pay the taxes. She will go to jail soon if not paid. What can we do? Her name is***** living in Accra, Ghana.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

Not that I know. Ghana is the group who has filed the charges. I want my wife home. Necklace neither of us care about. As she told me it can stay or give it away.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your wife talked to a lawyer about removal proceedings?

No. We are not aware what can be done to remove the necklace from her responsibility except to give it back to the family member who gave it to her. She was not aware of it's existence.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We do not want the necklace if it means paying 5625 and she cannot come home if we cannot pay, and I cannot pay that amount.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's situation.

Have you two already met in person and gotten legally married? Is she either a US citizen or permanent resident?

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi, just checking in to see if you'd still like help getting your questions answered.
It's free of charge to respond to any questions I may ask you, think of this more as a back and forth conversation.
Let me know if you'd still like my assistance, thanks!