Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Today pleaded guilty to a reckless driving by speed charge…

Customer Question
Today pleaded guilty to...

Today pleaded guilty to a reckless driving by speed charge and was sentenced to a 60 day suspended jail time and license suspension.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

I am currently a green card holder. would this sentence in anyway affect my status or the right to apply for citizenship?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?

No not yet, this is my 3rd year in the US

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

No, a traffic conviction for reckless driving would not usually affect your current status. However, being approved for citizenship is a discretionary decision. This means that you are eligible to apply but it would be up to the officer to decide if you should still be approved despite of the reckless driving charge. If no person was injured or property destroyed, then you should still be fine. You will need to provide all certified documents related to it such as arrest report and disposition. It would be helpful to show good things you have done in the US when it's time to apply. This is done to outweigh any bad. Some suggestions can be volunteering in organizations helping people or churches, etc and getting letters to provide with your application later.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."