Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I had some questions specific to an immigration petition and…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I had...

Hi Pearl, I had some questions specific to an immigration petition and hopefully some guidance as to our situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes we, I-130 and I-485

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well yes. So we were going through this process then, went on holiday to Canada from the US. I wasn't allowed entry back in, so we are now in the process of getting the petition transferred to the UK.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Hi Nisha, Thankyou. I did't quite realise the format, I can add some more background. We applied for a status adjustment in July. Went on holiday in mid August and since then I have been in Canada, with my family in the US. We had to provide some more information, which we have. The I-485 is now invalid. So we are trying to get the I-130 transferred to the UK. We have phoned USCIS, they have sent an email to the department who deal with it, but we are getting nothing back. So I suppose we are looking for some guidance, is there anything else we can do to get more info about the status of the process or to speed it up?
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi sorry for the delay, I was away from the site.

Yes, if you left the US while the I-485 was pending, it would have been deemed abandoned.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "transferred to the UK"? ..I'm sure you understand that UK immigration law is separate and independent from US immigration law ...are you wondering about the requirements for UK law?