Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I want to sponsor my friend from Pakistan to come to the…

Customer Question
I want to sponsor my...
I want to sponsor my friend from Pakistan to come to the United States. He has is own income and has property to return to Pakistan. Should I write a non immigrant visa sponsorship letter or an immigrant visa if I don’t have to income to support him?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Your friend actually does not need a US sponsor in order to apply for tourist visa to visit the US temporarily.

He just needs to submit an application through the US embassy/consulate in Pakistan.

It's good that he has property and a job in Pakistan, he can take proof of that with him when he goes in to the interview, and it should help ensure he gets the tourist visa granted.

Examples of taking proof of that would be documents such as the deed to his home or land, a letter from his employer, etc.

If he did not have significant income or assets, then you could file an I-134 form on his behalf and submit it here to USCIS. This form shows your financials and that you would have the funds necessary to support his trip to the US.

The I-134 can help in getting a tourist visa granted, as it shows there is no threat the visitor will need financial assistance from the US government while here, but again it is not required.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!