Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

We married a year ago and my wife sent me a divorce notice.

Customer Question
and its her fault coz...
we married a year ago and my wife sent me a divorce notice.
and its her fault coz she commited adultry.
i m a legal alien with a conditional green card. what steps should i take to make sure it helps me with a green card waiver?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

I am still waiting for your reply

I'm so sorry. I sent it before, not sure what happend. Make sure that you have as much evidence of the marriage being bonafide. Gather as much as you can such as continuous bank statements while you still have an account together. Do the same for any other credit card statements or other accounts that are joint. You can also do this for pictures.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Should i respond to her divorce petition?
If yes how should i respond?
She didn’t mention anything about her adultry in the petition.
And how much chance do i have that i will get a waiver?
I have one more year for my conditional green card expiration. Can i able to apply for waiver right now before my divorce gets finalized or should i have to wait for the last 90 days.
Should i get a affidavit from her stating that she committed adultry and divorce is her fault?
Will it affect me if i don’t respond to the divorce petition at all?
Thanks for your time for answering my questions

Responding to her divorce petition is something that you should discuss with your divorce attorney. I cannot answer regarding that because I am not a divorce attorney.

If you have plenty of documents for the one year you were married, then you have a a good chance of being approved for the permanent green card. It's better to be divorced already when it's time to apply so you should try to do it soon if you are sure you will do it.

NO, you cannot apply for the waiver until 90 days before your current 2 year card expires. And as i said, it's better that your divorce is final already anyway.

It does not matter whose fault the divorce is for the conditional card. You can be approved, no matter what the reason is, even if you had committed adultery. She can provide an affidavit if you would like.

I hope this helps and hope you can leave a good rating.