Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have my H4 VISA to H1B VISA Change of Status pending with…

Customer Question
Hi, My name is***** have my...
My name is***** have my H4 VISA to H1B VISA Change of Status pending with USCIS.
But my I-94 is expired and am planning to extend it.
Please let me know if i can go ahead and do it or will it affect my H1B petition.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

If you already submitted a change of status from H4 to H1B, then you are in a temporary legal status in the US and it is not necessary for you to extend your H4 status . If you submit an application for extension of status for the H4 status while the COS is pending, you will be asked to prove that you are in valid H4 status right now through RFE. You no longer are in valid H4 status now because the I-94 is expired so you will not be able to prove this and it will be denied. The temporary legal status is not the same thing.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Hello, did you get my response ok?

Thanks Jen.
Sorry but still would need your help in clarifying my below questions.
1.I just got to know that my spouse's employer has actually applied for my I-94 extension - I539 form for extension of stay on my H4 Visa and it is in currently pending status. My Spouse's employer is not aware of my pending H1B.
Now we are confused. Shall we withdraw the petition for extension of stay as i am not legally on my H4 because of a pending COS?
2. Since my I-94 has expired, If my H1b petition is denied, what would be my status?

1. You are legally on H4 if the extension was submitted before your I-94 expired.

2. If your I-539 was submitted BEFORE your I-94 expired then, even if your H1B petition is denied, you can still be on H4 status.