Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a US citizen, he is a NZ citizen. Our marriage has

Customer Question
I am a US...

I am a US citizen, he is a NZ citizen. Our marriage has failed and I want a divorce. We live side by side in two houses, the stress is awful. When I file for divorce, will it mean he has to leave America? He has not applied for any citizenship status that I know of. He has been diagnosed with Parkinson's and has every intention of staying until INS hauls him away and forces him to leave. We live in TN. I am an older woman, recently was hospitalized with a stroke and am a bit better, but not much. the strain and stress of his remaining here will kill me. He knows it.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has he taken? Has he filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

He has not filed anything that I know of. He plays his game very, very close to his chest and reveals little to me. He is using me big time and the stroke could not have been better from his standpoint. He plays games of 'good husband', bad husband and I never know what he will do next, but he REFUSES to get serious about returning to NZ.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has the husband talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, ASAP please, help me get out of this sad marriage.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Generally, if he has not become a U.S. citizen or otherwise adjusted his status to be a permanent resident (e.g. getting a green card), then he always runs the risk of deportation by ICE. Thus, it does not matter whether he is married or divorced, until and unless he changes his status with USCIS, then he may run the risk of deportation back to NZ. What other questions did you have for me?