Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I met my husband by his sister but she does not want to tell…

Customer Question
I met my husband...

I met my husband by his sister but she does not want to tell immigration. I am an American and he is an African. Will this hurt my immigration case if I admit that is how I met my husband?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes. I have just received our Notification of Inent to Revoke on 10/30/17.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have an appointment tomorrow.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have talked to several attorney but I have not admitted how I meant him. I want to be truthful. But, his sister is no longer talking to me or her brother.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/12/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 9 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

I am confused. Please explain how the way you met him has to do with his immigration case?

Why doesn't his sister want you to tell immigration?

Why are they trying to revoke?

I am sorry I accidentally hit exit. Did you receive my response?

No I did not.

She thinks telling immigration will get our case denied.We use to work together.USCIS states the marriage is not bona fide. Can I send you the letter?

Yes, attach it here.

I am unable to send a via this site. Do you have an email address?
Okay, I tried another route. I am sending it.
Did you receive it?

Ok I received it and read it.

I am still confused as to what this letter has to do with his sister? Why do you think it will make a difference if you say that you met through his sister?

I think it will help us. I have been researching online I have found several articles stating the USCIS frowns on family meetings. I do not have any other evidence. This is my first time interacting immigration. I truly dont know.
The friend mentioned is her. Without stating her, to me, it seems like a disconnect in our story. She is the reason I know George.
http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0323-ellis.shtm
This article is supporting what she is saying.
Here is a little part of the article:
What are some typical red flags that can cause a Consular Officer to suspect the merits of a relationship?
On the petitioner’s side, here is a brief and, by no means, complete list of reasons I have seen used to justify the return of family-based IV petitions and K petitions to DHS.
1. A very brief courtship followed by a plunge into matrimony;
2. A marriage ceremony arranged only a short time after petitioner arrives in the beneficiary’s country and they meet for the first time;
3. No common language;
4. Petitioner resides with family members of the beneficiary in the US;
5. Petitioner is employed by or has a business relationship with a relative of beneficiary;
6. Petitioner submits phone records that show he uses a residential phone number that is listed in the name of another person.
7. US divorce followed very quickly by an engagement to foreign beneficiary is often a red flag for consular officers.
8. There is little or no documentary evidence of the relationship prior to the actual engagement.
9. Long gaps of time between the petitioner & beneficiary being together in person.
10. Failure to disclose previous marriages;
11. Failure to disclose previous petitions filed on behalf of other beneficiaries.
Hello! Are you still there, Jen?