Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife has been here for about five months and she has done…

Customer Question
My wife has been...

My wife has been here for about five months and she has done several things to ruin my life . I married her in dominican republic and she is here on a temporary permaneant resident card. ShevCard was suppose to go back to dominican republic but got off the plane in another city and is with some family there. Am i liable for the affidavit of support if she chose to stay here ? We have not had a good relationship since she brought the kids here . She has been told by other dominicans things she could do to stay here even if i want her gone . She didnt get on the connecting flight to the dominican republic . What are my options as a us citizen and sponsor

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/12/2017
Immigration Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am terribly sorry to hear this;

there is some good news, and bad news for sponsors of immigrants, even for spouses.

First, the sponsor remains liable to the government-to reimburse the government for any expenditures made on the immigrant's behalf- ie food stamps, medical care, etc.

Please see relevant code here

The good news is that this liability does not extend to third parties that are non-governmental agencies; so if the immigrant borrows money from a bank, a friend, etc, that does not make the sponsor liable in and of itself.

If the parties divorce, that can negatively affect the immigrant's status, particularly if there is a suspicion that one of the parties entered into a shame marriage (ie for immigration fraud purposes)

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

The person is in another state . I married her in the dominican republic.how am i liable if she runs off to another state ?

A sponsor remains liable - by virtue of sponsoring the individual; it is a federal law-only to the governments ;not third parties.

is there a senario where i will not be liable at all

yes, if the spouse's status is revoked due to divorce or other reasonsing;

if there is a claim by a third party that is not a government agency -the spouse is not liable for those creditors.

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

(no additional charges are incurred).

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer