Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have been dating a man from Wales for 3 years. we met in…

Customer Question
I am American....

I am American. I have been dating a man from Wales for 3 years. we met in Ireland on vacation. If we wanted to get married what happens... Can he live here with me? If I chose to go to Wales to live will I lose my citizenship?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No. We just take turns visiting each other.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/12/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Yes, if you wanted to get married he could live in the US with you, and you could petition for him to receive his green card/ permanent residency, and eventually his citizenship.

Give me just a few minutes and I'll type up some information for you concerning the process. Thanks!

You would have 2 options for petitioning for him:
(1.) as your fiance, or
(2.) as your spouse.

I can explain a little about both of those options for you.

As your fiance, you'd submit USCIS Form I-129 for him.

The processing time is generally around 3-6 months.

Once approved, you have 90 days from the date he enters the US in which you two are to get married.

Once you're married, you can file USCIS Form I-485 to adjust his status to permanent resident.

Here is a link to USCIS with the forms and instructions:
https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

If you two were to get married first, you would then submit USCIS Form I-130 for him.

The processing time for this petition ranges between 6-15 months, however you can also file a K3 visa petition to have him join you here in the US while awaiting approval of the I-130.

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/spouse/bringing-spouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

This is a list of the additional documents you would need to file along with either petition:

Form G-325A Biographic Data Sheet
Form I-693 Medical Examination Sheet (filled out by a designated Civil Surgeon)
Form I-864 Affidavit of Support, with supporting financial and tax documents
Form I-765 Employment Authorization (optional)
Form I-131 Travel Authorization (optional)

Other supporting documents you'll also need to submit are:

• two color photos, taken within the last 30 days, passport style
  • his birth certificate, with an English translation if it's not already in English, and
  • required fee for the application and for biometrics

You can find all of these forms and their instructions here:
https://www.uscis.gov/forms

See also:
https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens

As you can see from the above information, the fiance visa does tend to be processed significantly quicker, so that's something to take into consideration and most usually makes it the more desirable route.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer