Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm currently on H1b since Oct-2015. I changed employer on…

Customer Question
I'm currently on H1b since...
I'm currently on H1b since Oct-2015. I changed employer on 28th Aug on the H1b receipt which i had got on 25th July. My H1b change of employer petition is still pending with USCIS.My I-94 with previous employer is valid till September-2018. If my H1b transfer rejected will i still be able to change employer?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/11/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

You can file as long as your I-94 is valid and the current petition pending is not denied. You are in valid H!B status until there is a denial.

Also this employer can withdraw their petition and terminate you. If they did that you could take advantage of the 60 day grace period to have a new employer file for you. You don't get the grace period with a denial - then you have 10 days to depart.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith