Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

No I haven't. Not yet, I need to be guided properly before I…

Customer Question
No I haven't Lawyer's...

No I haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet, I need to be guided properly before I take any step

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, currently I am here on a B2 Tourist Visa which is going to Expire in March, and I have an interest to study a course in Health Information Technology, but I cant study because of my Visa status which isn't a Student visa

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/10/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

You can apply to change your status from a B2 tourist visa to an F1 student visa.

First you would need to apply to the program and be accepted, and then you would file for the change of status.

This is done through USCIS Form I-539.

Here is a link to the form and instructions:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-539

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 9 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!