Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am applying to remove conditions on my card and was just…

Customer Question
I am applying to...

I am applying to remove conditions on my green card and was just wondering whether I had to include a violation

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No. It was a traffic incident to which i had to go to traffic court for. Original charge was Leaving the scene of an accident, revised charge was litter occupied Private Property and I paid a fine of $330.50

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/7/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So you are saying that the charges were reduced and you were only convicted of littering private property and paid a fine?

Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 5 months ago

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

this is correct

Thank you for responding. You must be honest on the I-751 application and you should provide with the application a certified copy of the police report and the court disposition to prove how the case closed. This minor charge should not result in a denial of the removal of conditions of your U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

I understand the need to be honest and I intend to be. The reason I am seeking advice is the question in the I-751 relating to criminal history clearly states: Have you ever been arrested (etc) for breaking or violating any law or ordinance (excluding traffic violations)? In the instructions it states Unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500. In my case there was no arrest, did not involve drugs or alcohol and fine was less than $500. So if it states all this, do I ignore it all and still disclose the incident or should I feel comfortable answering no?

The problem is that "leaving the scene of an accident" is generally not just a traffic violation. It is at worst a criminal violation, at best criminal-traffic violation. Let me put it this way. If you disclose it, it should not be a problem because it was reduced. If you do not disclose it, it could cause you major problems as they may call into question the rest of your application or even find that you have committed fraud. Better to disclose. They want to be the judge on whether it makes a difference in your application or not. They don't want you to be the judge because your opinion is biased. I hope you understand.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.