Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My immigration visa will expire on Dec. 12, 2017. I filed…

My immigration visa will...

My immigration visa will expire on Dec. 12, 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I filed I-90 since March 2017 biometrics done in april but till now news from USCIS

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only this issue

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/6/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So do you mean to say that your green card expires December 12? Is it a 2 year green card or 10 year green card?

I never receive my card sent in Junuary
When I asked USCIS they advise me to file a I-90
I did it on 30 March and biometrics done also on 26 April

What is the basis of your green card? In other words, how did you get it?

what will happen and what should I do to extend my visa?

You don't need to extend the visa. The visa is only to get in. Now that you are in, you don't need it anymore. How did you obtain your green card? Who applied for you?

person with exceptional ability in the interest of USA
E21 visa
the problem I am working outside US and need to re enter time to time
application was done by a lawyer

Ok. And you had an immigrant visa to enter the U.S. and you used that visa to enter the U.S.? Or you were on some other status in the U.S. and filed an I-485 to Adjust Status? If so, when was the I-485 approved?

I used this visa to enter on 12 Dec. 2016, Feb 2017 and April 2017

What is the designation of the visa? Are you currently in the U.S.?

all my family member received their green card
only mine got lost

Ok. But what is the designation of your visa?

designation is immigrant visa
category E21

And which city and country are you currently living in?

THE designation is immigrant visa category E21
BUJUMBURA IN BURUNDI
AFRICA
ARE YOU THERE?

Yes, please be patient. I attend other customers at the same time and sometimes it gets busy. I will be right with you. Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. There are a few things you can do to push your case along:

1) Call the USCIS Customer Service number at 1-***-***-****.

2) Go to http://infopass.uscis.gov/ and make an appointment to speak in person with an immigration officer to find out the status.

3) If the case is very delayed, you may contact your U.S. Congressmen to get them involved and have their staff push the case along. Here is a helpful link to help you with this: http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml.

4) And finally, you could hire an attorney to find out the status and also push the case along. You can try to find one at http://www.ailalawyer.com/.

As far as your visa goes, you cannot extend that in the U.S. You can contact the U.S. Embassy in Burundi and make an appointment to have them give you a new visa or what is called a Boarding Foil or Transportation Letter. But I do warn you that you need to start living in the U.S. soon. They call it Lawful Permanent Residency because you are supposed to be residing in the U.S. to maintain it.

Anyone that is a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and is outside of the U.S. for 180 days or more within any 12 month period (not necessarily calendar year) creates a rebuttable presumption of abandonment of residency. That presumption can be rebutted by evidence to the contrary such as filing U.S. taxes, maintaining a home in the U.S. and paying that mortgage or rent, maintaining a U.S. drivers license, U.S. bank accounts with significant movement, etc.

Someone that has been outside of the U.S. for more than 1 year without first having an approved re-entry permit has abandoned their residency and only in very few exceptions (such as serious illness) can they get it back.

Here is an official link:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

So to avoid problems, start living in the U.S. soon.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You may have to scroll up to the top of the page to see the stars/smiley faces. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

thank you for your assistance

My pleasure!