Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am applying for citizenship and was convicted of

misdemeanor for applying for drivers...
I am applying for citizenship and was convicted of misdemeanor for applying for drivers licencse with a different name. I was in my teens and that was a mistake I made. I was convinced Of count 20 vc misd- false statement to dmv/chp. Do I need to include on application of citizenship if this was dating back 12/6/2006. I was never formally arrested and just appeared in court. I was given community service and a fine
11/5/2017
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

How old were you? Under 18? That would have been a citation. You still must answer "YES on the N-400. It asks "Have you EVER been cited....." So even as a youthful offender you have to disclose it and provide copies of the disposition. It seems from the attachments the incident was in 2003 was disposed of in 2006. You had 24 months probation?

Judith

I was 20 years old. Yes I had 24 months of probation. Can this prevent me from my citizenship being denied? I had the same conviction when I applied for my residency back in 06. So this is consider a citation and not an arrest right?

The difference between a citation and arrest is negligible. What matters is the conviction and you do have that.

Since this occurred back in 2003/2006 and not within the 5 years of your statutory period of filing the N-400 it can still be considered in determining whether you are one of good moral character.

So most likely given your age and length of time since this happened and that you have stayed out of trouble since then it most likely will not be a determining factor in their decision on your good moral character.

I would suggest that you take with you affidavits from co workers; employers, friends, church leaders, any community or volunteer organizations you may have given time - stating you are a person of good moral character and that they recommend you for your citizenship.

You don't have to tell them of your criminal history, only that you want to apply for citizenship and that you need recommendation letters about how long they have known you and their opinion of your good moral character.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Just want to make sure this is how I would fill out. Thank you so much

21 = YES

If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Did you mean question 23 or 26? 21 is. At question about using a 15 year old

I'm sorry the image was fuzzy - #23 = YES

26 = NO as you marked.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer