Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question about N-400 processing time. I filed in…

I have a question...

I have a question about N-400 processing time. I filed in October 2017, USCIS website states that the local Field Office is processing N-400 applications received on 1/7/2017. Does this mean it won't be processing October applications for another 9 months? If normal processing is 6-8 months, does it mean that the process won't be completed until 9 + 6-8 months, therefore 15-17 months?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes, I have received the receipt for N-400 filing and have a biometrics appointment next week

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, though I haven't had an answer to this question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all, thanks

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/4/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Yes, unfortunately that's correct.

Processing time could potentially move along a bit quicker than that, but yes, your estimation sounds accurate.

While the 6-8 months time frame is the usual processing time, unfortunately field offices can sometimes fall behind and get backed up in processing their paperwork. This could be due to any number of things, but is most usually a reflection of increased applications. The online website for checking current field office processing dates is regularly updated though and should be showing correct dates.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thanks, that's awful news, thanks for confirming though!

I know.

You're welcome though, no problem.

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha,My immigration attorney has confirned the following:
The meaning of currently processing Jan 2017 applications is that the total processing time is likely to be 9 months, not a combination of the current processing time plus 5-8 months.I understand the logic of your interpretation since the information is ambiguous, however, I’m now very relieved that the process is likely to be completed in May/June 2017 approximately.Thanks so much,
Stewart.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer