Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am on F1 visa started back in July 2017, prior to that I…

I am on F1...

I am on F1 visa started back in July 2017, prior to that I was on J1 visa. I am subjected to 2 year home return requirement and cannot work at the moment because of that. My question is it is easier to apply for J1 hardship waiver or F1 economic hardship in order to work. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

On f1 visa no pendinf petition

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I talked with HIO advisor in the university, they feel that I can do it my myself

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not very familiar with the process i can read about it and apply but afraid of failing

11/3/2017
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: These are two completely different waivers for two completely different reasons. The hardship waiver is a waiver to let you work while on F1 status. The J-1 waiver is to waive the 2-year HRR.

In my opinion, I think the hardship waiver for OPT is the easier of the two options for getting to work because you are not asking to waive the residency requirement. Also, you are going through the USCIS, not the Department of State (And your home country), which you would do for the J-1 waiver.

On the other hand, the No Objection Waiver of the 2-year HRR gives you more flexibility in the future. But it is likely harder to get through since it involves the Department of State and your home government.

If the goal right now is just to work, I would go for the F-1 hardship waiver for employment while on F-1 status.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Can I apply for F1 hardship now or I have to wait for 1 full academic year.

Remember that I don't get credit for doing my job if you do not give me a positive rating. Kindly do so by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

ANSWER: You can either work on-campus during your first year without the hardship, or you can work off campus if you get the hardship waiver.

I can send you a link to many Frequently Asked Questions and answer related to F-1 employment if you'd like. But please go ahead and give me credit for working with you now, so that I am assured credit for doing my job.

Thank you

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer