Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Malineni and i have applied for my citizenship in july and…

Customer Question
Hi My name is...

Hi My name is ***** ***** and i have applied for my citizenship in july and biometrics appointment was done in august i want to know if i can travel abroad and how long can i stay away

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I have green card

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nope i am looking to hire one before that i want to know about it the steps involved

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats all for now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/2/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Yes, you can travel with your green card even while the naturalization is still pending.

Please keep in mind though, that until you officially take your oath and receive your citizenship, you do still need to meet the continuous residence and physical presence requirements. You should therefore make sure that any trips abroad are not lengthy.

If possible, it's best to wait until you've received your citizenship, as you will no longer need to meet the above mentioned requirements. However, to answer your question, yes you can still travel with your valid green card.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!