Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

While completing the current for adjustment of status i-485,

there is a question that...
While completing the current for adjustment of status i-485, there is a question that asks Have you ever been denied a visa to the US? what would the answer to this question, in the case that a renewal to a visitor visa in the past had not been granted?Yes or No?
10/25/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

You would answer this question as yes.

Even though it was the denial of a renewal of a visa, it still counts as a denial, and for this question you would therefore answer yes.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

Please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Hi Nisha,
yes, you responded my original question... with that said, I do have a follow up question regarding another question within the I-485 form... in part 6 of the form asks to "Indicate the total number of ALL living children that you have" the question is being addressed to my wife the applicant. The question also has a note that denotes that the term "Children" includes current stepchildren of any age living with you or elsewhere...
I have two children from my prior marriage, so in this case my current wife the applicant is considered the stepmom of my two kids.
what is the correct way to respond to this question?

If those are the only 2 children, and there are no other children, biological or otherwise, then the answer here would be 2.

I hope that helps!

Hello Nisha,
what is the answer as my children do not live with us?

I'm sorry, did you not receive my prior response? The site indicates that it was sent at 3:46pm. I'll resend.

I hope that helps!

To clarify, even if the 2 children don't live with you, you still need to report them.

Hope that helps! Don't forget to rate, thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer