Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have an immigration question. my nephew is applying I-485…

Hi, I have an...

Hi, I have an immigration question. my nephew is applying I-485 for his mom and she is living in the U.S legally with her visitor visa. but my nephew just finish college and just got a job on june 2017. he only worked as part time during his 4 years college and didn't submit any tax return for the past years. we just received a notice from uscis request to

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Request my nephew to submit a complete federal income tax return submitted to the IRS for the most recent tax year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, we haven't talk to a laywer yet

10/23/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

ok

In this case, your nephew will need to send a brief letter to USCIS explaining that he did not file taxes, and does not intend to file taxes for those years, due to the minimum amount of income he earned.

He will however need to find a joint sponsor to submit an I-864 on his mother's behalf, since he does not appear to meet the income requirements for approval of the visa petition.

You can find the I-864 form at the following link:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

The sponsor does not need to be a relative, it can be anyone willing to be a financial sponsor for his mom, and the joint sponsor also does not need to reside in the same household as the applicant.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

I noticed you requested a phone call, and I'm happy to speak with you over the phone, but it appears there was an issue with processing payment for it.

You can contact customer support and they'll be able to help you get this resolved, so that we can get connected. You can reach a customer support agent here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Nisha Jones, Esq.
thanks for ur help, i'll rate 5 stars. thanks again

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer