Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

One of the spouses has a case in the immigration office

waiting for the Green Card...
One of the spouses has a case in the immigration office waiting for the Green Card on the basis of a join marriage. What happens if they divorce before he/she receives a Green Card?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/19/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Are you referring to the 10 year green card, or for a conditional resident card?

What is this person's current visa/ immigration status?

A conditional.

In that case, if they are divorced before the conditional resident card is received, then unfortunately the petition will be withdrawn, and the non-citizen spouse will no longer receive their conditional resident status.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
After marriage he/she received 2 years temporary. Five mounths s ago they apply for conditional.

I think you may be confusing some of the terminology here.

If they were married 2 years ago and filed the spousal petition, then the spouse would have received a conditional residence then.

What they would have petitioned for now would be the I-751 removal of conditions.

In that case, if the divorce happens now, the non-citizen spouse can still attempt to get their permanent residence/ green card by submitting a divorce waiver.

This is basically a letter explaining that they did in fact have a bona fide marriage, and that it ended in divorce. Once the interviewing immigration officer decides that theirs was in fact a bona fide marriage, not a sham marriage just for immigration purposes, then this person can still receive their green card.

I hope that helps!

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer