Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My fiance is a Canadian citizen currently residing in

Canada. I am a US...
My fiance is a Canadian citizen currently residing in Canada. I am a US citizen residing in the US. We have known each other for 14 year.When we get married next May we both want to reside with me in the US. Where do we begin to find out the process so she can immigrate to the US?
10/18/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

You have 2 options:

(1.) You can begin the process now and file for a fiance visa.

(2.) Once married, you can file for a spousal visa.

I can explain a little about both of those options for you.

The processing time for a fiance visa is generally around 3-6 months.

You'd need to submit USCIS Form I-129.

Once approved, your fiance would then have 90 days from the date they enter the US in which you two are to get married.

Once you're married, you can file USCIS Form I-485 to adjust their status to permanent resident.

Here is a link to USCIS with the forms and instructions:
https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

If you two get married first, and then file for a spousal visa you would need to submit USCIS Form I-130.

The processing time for this petition ranges between 6-15 months, however you can also file a K3 visa petition to have your spouse join you here in the US while awaiting approval of the I-130.

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/spouse/bringing-spouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Outside meeting residency requirements, are there any required medical, criminal, etc. checks?

Yes, you will have to have a medical exam done, file financial sponsorship paperwork, and USCIS will run their own background check for criminal history.

These are the forms for the medical exam and financial support:

Form I-693 Medical Examination Sheet (filled out by a designated Civil Surgeon)
Form I-864 Affidavit of Support, with supporting financial and tax documents

You can find all of these forms and their instructions here:
https://www.uscis.gov/forms

See also:
https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer