Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Will a divorce stop an N-400 naturalization process? My

Will a divorce stop an...
Will a divorce stop an N-400 naturalization process?My friend, Nancy, married a British man, Robert, and brought him to the US 6-7 years ago. They divorced about 10 months ago and are having child custody disputes. As of now, Robert is not a US citizen yet and it is unclear how far along Robert's application for naturalization is (we do not know if he submitted his N-400 yet). Nancy wants to know if the divorce would automatically disqualify Robert from proceeding on the N-400 process, if he ever submitted the application. Nancy understands that Robert has a green card and can thus stay in the US forever even without the citizenship.Thanks a lot for the help!
10/14/2017
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

They have children born to the marriage?

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Don't worry about the "bad news" part. I totally understand and want to get the best and honest advice from you! Honestly, my friend and I have heard enough "bad news" lately and we are fully prepared for it...And, yes, they have a 4 year old. The kid is with the mom right now because of the things that the dad did to the kid. But the dad is trying to get the custody back in the family court.
Phone call session started

Here is the link that I promised:

https://travel.state.gov/content/childabduction/en.html

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Thanks a lot, Guillermo, for the link. Just a quick question: could you remind me what list/program I should be looking for on this site? I found the child passport issuance alert program (the kid already has a US passport). Is that what you meant? Thanks a lot!

You have to look at the section for abductions from the U.S.

Thanks!

My pleasure.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.