Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Miss., I don't have the Immigrant Visa Case Number needed in…

Hi, Miss. Jones,I don't have...
Hi, Miss. Jones,I don't have the Immigrant Visa Case Number ***** in CEAC. All I have is my basic information and passport number. Can I check my VISA status with those informations? And some other lawyer told me that I can remain "out of status" for 5 months. If I can get a new F1 VISA in 5 months, I'll be OK. But some officer from my home country told me that I have to try to re-apply VISA now, otherwise, I will have to be sent out of the U.S. I want to know who is right and what should I do now?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/10/2017
Nisha Jones

Hello again, give me just a moment to review your question. Just a reminder that this is for informational purposes only and we do not currently have an attorney client relationship.

Thanks for your patience! Give me just a moment to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

For the CEAC check you do need to have your case number ***** order to use the online system.

Since you don't have it, you can try contacting the (NVC) National Visa Center over the phone at (603)(###) ###-####/strong>. They may be able to assist you once you provide the other identifying information you do have.

As far as being out of status, yes you do have 5 months in which you can try to get your F1 reinstated.

In order to apply for reinstatement of your F1 status, you'll need to submit the following:

1. Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status
  2. A properly completed SEVIS Form I-20 indicating the DSO’s recommendation for reinstatement
  3. Form I-94 (for the student and each family member)
  4. Supporting statement
  5. Filing fee

I hope that helps!

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones