Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

12.15.A in N-400, I have served 29 month for Korean Army in…

For Question Part 12.15.A...

For Question Part 12.15.A in N-400, I have served 29 month for Korean Army in South Korea during 1980-1982. It was mandatory. Should I answer Yes for the question in the form? If so I answer Yes for Part 12.19 as well.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

I am now

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am preparing N-400 for citizenship application

10/9/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Yes. The answer would be "yes" for 15(a) because you were part of a South Korean Army military unit. The answer would also be yes for 19, since you received military training.

This does not disqualify you from US Citizenship. You were conscripted into the armed forces of a US ally. This is very common and saying "yes" does not disqualify you. USCIS will simply want to know where/when, and that is it. Many applicants fall under such a scenario.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Thanks!

You are very welcome. Good luck.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer with five stars and then click SEND to submit that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the SEND button to keep on chatting. "I strive for FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law