Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I petitioned for my sister for an immigration visa in 2010…

hello - I petitioned for...
hello - I petitioned for my sister for an immigration visa in 2010 and it looks like the wait time never changes. Is there a way to expedite the process? She is currently waiting for a visa number I believe.Her nationality is Jordanian and she is currently residing in the UK. She has permanent residency in the UK and believe soon will become a UK citizen if that makes a difference.
10/7/2017
Leena Kamat

Hello! Unfortunately there is no way to expedite the process you have filed for your sister, and it will only go by her country of birth and not citizenship. Meanwhile, she might be able to come here on some type of non-immigrant status such as H-1B if she finds a sponsor.

I see. What are the requirements for H-1B visa. I own a couple of small businesses. Would that be enough to sponsor her?
I'll follow-up with you on this a bit later. I have to leave in a few min.

The main requirement for an H-1B is that the position has to be a "specialty occupation," ie one that requires at least a bachelors in a specific field - and she would need to have that type of degree. You would need to establish by a preponderance of the evidence that your company has a requirement for the position and you are able to pay what is known as the "prevailing wage." Also, if she hasn't had an H-1B approved before, the petition would need to be filed under a fiscal quota, so the earliest you could file is in April 2018 for a start date of October 2018. More info on this and other types of visas at https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-nonimmigrant-workers

Please provide a positive rating so I can receive credit for assisting you!

Leena Kamat
Thank you.