Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a US citizen that will marry a Russian citizen in

Customer Question
I am a US...

I am a US citizen that will marry a Russian citizen in January 2018. Which form do I use for immigration for the fastest way to have my spouse return to the USA?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Not yet as form I 130 is for a spouse already and form I 130 is for a fiancee

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No not at this time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do work in Russia as a consultant and applied for a tourist visa for he last year which was denied as in my invitation letter I included my work relation with her. Tourist visa was turned down in Yekaterinburg in June 2017.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
10/6/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

Congratulations on your impending marriage.

I am not at all surprised about the tourist visa refusal because with an American citizen significant other providing the invitation letter the consul immediately leaps to the conclusion that the visa applicant is an intending immigrant.

You cannot file anything at this time for your significant other.

The I-129F is for a fiance visa. It is taking 4-6 months for the USCIS to approve the petition and then approx 60 days for the K1 to be issued.

That would not work for you anyway since you are marrying in Russia and will need to wait until you have married to apply for the I-130.

The approximate processing time for the I-130 approval is 5-6 months. Now that relations with Russia have soured only the Embassy in Russia is processing visas so there will no doubt be a backlog in visa appointments so it can take up to an additional 3-5 months for the visa appointment in Moscow.

There is simply no "fast" way to bring in a spouse. It is frustrating for many families who have to endure a long separation but our system is broken. We are living in a culture of "NO" as far as immigrating to the US and that means many long delays on both ends.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I am giving you an honest answer despite it not being what you would like to hear.

jUDITH