Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My name isn’t. NY. Filed I-751. But I just want to know if…

Customer Question
Hi my name isn’t...

Hi my name isn’t Benjamin

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed I-751

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

But I just want to know if it’s ok not to take a lease with me on my interview because I just moved two months ago and my wife lives with the mom temporarily

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
10/5/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 10 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Why aren't you and your spouse living together at her mother's? That doesn't look good. What other evidence will you take?

We have bank account, car title and tax return but we not living together now because she is violent and been arrested twice for abusing me so the landlord thought we causing too much trouble at the house so wanted us out but for now we still haven’t found a place so I decided to live in a single room and she stays with her mom until things calm down

ere is a list of things that I like to give my clients and I know that you may not have all of these things, but the more you have, the better it is.

A letter where you describe, in a very detailed fashion, the circumstances in which you met your spouse, the reasons you married, and the feelings and emotions that you had or still have towards your spouse, and why.
If you have a child or children together, the birth certificate for each child.
Wedding pictures and pictures of other moments when you and your spouse, and other members of your families and friends have been together.
Very detailed letters from people who know you and your spouse and who are witnesses that your marriage was valid, who were at your wedding, or who knew you as a married couple.
Love letters or cards that you received from your spouse while in the relationship.
Letters from people addressed to both you and your spouse, or in which the person who wrote the letter refers to both of you as a couple.
Any types of documents that have both your names on them that show that you bought a car, a house, furniture, or anything else together.
Any rental or lease agreements for your home or apartment with both of your names on it or a letter from the building manager or owner proving that you lived together.
Bank or financial statements that show that you had or have a savings or checking account together.
Any insurance documents that show that you were or still are covered by your spouse's insurance plan, or that your plan covers or covered him or her.
Bills, such as electricity, water, heat, cable TV, phone, or others that show both you and your spouse's names.
Jointly-filed Income tax papers (both your names).
An identification card that shows that shows a common address.
Membership cards for video clubs, grocery stores or similar businesses, that show joint membership.
Any other documents that prove your relationship.

Documents that you receive every month, you should have a folder where every 2 or three months you put these documents in there so that by the time of the interview, you have a folder with lots of stuff in it over a time period to show continuity of the relationship. They don’t like it when a person just shows up with bank statements and bills from the last month before the interview. They want to see proof that you have been living together for many months or more. So something from every 2 or 3 months that you are together should work.

If she has abused you and she is the U.S. Citizen, you may want to file an I-360 as an abused spouse. Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/battered-spouse-children-parents

I have to go to lunch now, but I will be back later if you have more questions.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Also are this documents enough and can I go with those orders from court, I mean order of protection

Well, for what you are doing now, you have to prove your marriage is still good and real and that you are sill planning to continue to build a life together. If you do a VAWA abused spouse petition, that would be separate and will not have anything to do with your current process. If you fail at the next interview, you can start a VAWA process after.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!