Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How much it would cost 2 get a person into the country fm…

Customer Question
How much it would...

How much it would cost 2 get a person into the country fm Nigeria. The best way whether it a fiance visa or marriage visa.

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Immigration Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No i have nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes i was quoted about $8000 for fees, paperwork & anything else

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just wanted a second opinion or maybe a cheaper option

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

Who are the two people? A fiance and their child?

Judith

You need to file form I-129F with the USCIS. Here is a link to the form and instructions.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Nigeria and Ghana are high fraud posts and you will need to show substantial evidence of your personal relationship, including trips to Africa to visit your fiance.

Be very careful with this. These are generally romance scams. We get at least two or three questions like this on the website per week.

Normally the scam starts with trying to establish a romantic relationship, perhaps just a friendship at first. They also may claim to be a citizen of the UK or US or wherever so that you would not suspect they have any ulterior motive. They pull at your heartstrings by telling stories of hardship or tragedy that they have suffered in their life. At some point they want to come visit. They may ask you to send money for a passport and/or plane ticket. They may tell you that they have money, perhaps even that they are wealthy, but their money is tied up in gold or something like that, perhaps they tie it into a tragedy or something. Then the next step is when they supposedly have the passport and plane ticket, they suddenly come up with this Basic Travel Allowance or (BTA) which is supposedly to show authorities that they have enough money to fund their trip. This is a lie. There is no such thing. They ask you to send that money so they can put it into a bank account to show the authorities. This is just another method to steal money from you. Then the next part of the scam would be when they are supposed to arrive. You wait for them at the airport and they never show up. A few days go by, you get extremely worried, none of your methods of communication work, and then suddenly a "friend" or "relative" of the scammer contacts you to let you know that she has been detained/arrested by authorities for carrying something illegal, I have heard of unregistered gold and they say it would have been a gift for you (perhaps to pay you back for the money you sent). The friend or relative of the scammer then asks for you to send money to bribe or pay fines in order to have the scammer released. From there, I have not heard of how else they are able to get money out of people. Of course there are variations to the scheme, but that's pretty much how it goes.

Here is a link that you can go to for more information:

http://ghana.usembassy.gov/romance_scam.html

http://www.ghanaimmigration.org/FAQ.html

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith