Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Our family have already gotten our GC conditions removed,

Customer Question
our biometrics taken, now waiting...
Our family have already gotten our GC conditions removed, our biometrics taken, now waiting to receive our permanent green card. (I m holding a temporary PR stamp on my passport thats good for a year). I am now abroad, having applied for a reentry permit (biometrics already taken) this May, but am still waiting to receive the actual travel document. However, my mom (the main green card applicant of the family) didn't apply for one, so after staying abroad for 5 months she was recently threatened by the US customs to have her green card confisticated if she were to go without a reentry permit again on her next reentry. She is now in the US but can't stay for too long. Question: can she mail out an application for a reentry permit now and come back again for the biometrics? And worse case scenario, if she got her green card confisticated, would it affect my PR status, even if I applied for reentry permit already?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
The customs didn't make her sign any voluntary submission forms.
10/5/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

If they were to confiscate her card, they would still parole her into the U.S., she would just be scheduled for Removal hearing before an Immigration Judge where she would have a chance to prove that she is not intending to abandon her green card due to her actions, that she has significant ties to the U.S. and will star living in the U.S. soon or immediately. If she is able to at least prove some of that to the CBP officer at the Port of Entry, they won't confiscate her card when she tries to come back as they don't want to waste the judge's time with such a case. So more than likely they will just give her another stern warning.

If they were to revoke her green card (very unlikely), it would not negatively impact yours.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I see that you asked for a refund. Did I do something wrong? Please let me know. Thank you.