Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm a US citizen living in Mexico, I married a Mexican a…

Customer Question
Hello I'm a US...

Hello I'm a US citizen living in Mexico, I married a Mexican a little over two years ago, now we want to live in the US, what is the procedure for us to take?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, this is my first step in the process I was just starting to look for a lawyer in mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have dual citizenship mex \ us

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
10/3/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

A licensed Mexican lawyer will not be of much help to you because this is US federal immigration law that governs you bringing in your wife as your immediate relative.

Your first step is to file form I-130 and I-130A with the USCIS in the US. You do this by mail, there is no in person filing.

I will begin to write a more complete answer with links for you to read that will lead you through the process. It will take me a few minutes.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Here is a step by step guide written by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service outlining the process.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/A1en.pdf

Here is the link the the Dept of State graphic which gives you a road map of the process.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process.html

Here is another Dept of State link which has tabs for you to click on to see what the requirements are for each step of the process.

To be completely honest with you, you don't need t spend $5000 on attorney fees to do this process if your spouse has never had any issues with US immigration and no criminal history. These links lead you by the hand on what to do. All the information required by the forms you would have to complete on an attorney's online forms program and then they just print out the forms for your signature and mail it after you return it to them.

If you feel more comfortable hiring an attorney you can find one at http://www.ailalawyers.com

If you choose to do this yourself I can do a forms review for you and skype with you on the process. You can google me and read about my experience and client reviews..

I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith Ludwic