Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am writing you from Germany. My sister is imprisoned since…

Customer Question
Hello. I am writing...

Hello. I am writing you from Germany. My sister is imprisoned since last week. She has to be in jail at least 40 days, then here charges are being dropped. The problem is: she is not allowed to stay in the USA. Here greencard expired a long time ago. I want to know what will be the next steps after prison.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No not yet. Can you tell me about that organization?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Also not. I just received the information that she is imprisoned yesterday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Nothing else

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
10/3/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Hello-- please answer this first. Where is your sister being imprisoned?

When did her green card expire?

How do you know she is not allowed to stay in the US?

My sister is imprisoned in the Madison County TX Jail. I don’t know the exact date, but I know that her greencard expired over 2 years ago. She is an illegal immegrant now. Once she was married. But she got divorced. And she has no job. And now she came into conflict with the law.

Ok, thank you. Do you know if she had 10 year green card or 2 year? When did she get it?

Do you know what she is in jail for now?

She had a 2 year greencard, as far as I know. We didn’t have so much contact in the last years. I am in contact with a friend of her since yesterday. My sister got charged for 1) false information to a police officer
2) assault on a police officer
3) resisting arrest
4) public intoxication

Well, just so you are aware, just because her green card expired does not make her an illegal immigrant. She can still try to apply for a 10 year green card based on divorce once she is out of jail. Depending on what she is convicted of, she may not be able to get her green card. The assault on a police officer can be an issue.

She will likely be put into immigration court proceedings once she is removed from criminal jail. There is no way to know for sure until she is released. At that point if she is, then she will need an immigration attorney to defend her and try to prevent her from getting deported if she wants to stay in the US. She can try to fight. If she doesn't want to, she may be able to ask for a voluntary departure from the US or she can accept a deportation order. She will get deported to her country of citizenship.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY! It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge, if you have any.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

If you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, again please click Finish and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future, you can make sure that I am the only one that answers it for you by writing the words "FOR JEN" in your new post.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney