Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have been charged with Assault 4th Degree constituting…

Customer Question
I have been charged...

I have been charged with Assault 4th Degree constituting Domestic Violence ( Misdemeanor A) in the state of Oregon. My wife went to the Police and talked to them for more than an hour saying that i used violence and they took photos of her bruises. I have a 2 years conditional green card that expires September 2018(i been to remove the condition then). I will go to court in two weeks. Now my wife is on my side but the state is pressing the charge on me. My question is how can i avoid deportation in this situation, is there a lesser charge possible than can stop the federal government from deporting me. How my wife can help me not get convicted?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
10/2/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Your solution is not with immigration. Immigration will not get involved. If you are convicted of domestic violence or admit to the essential elements of that crime, you become deportable from the U.S. You must avoid a conviction for domestic violence at all costs. Hire a very good defense attorney and get the charges dismissed or reduced. A lesser crime could be disorderly conduct, for example. That is something your attorney would negotiate with the prosecutor. If you hire a very good attorney, one that has a scary reputation in that they litigate very well and almost always win, the prosecutor may be more willing to negotiate and not waste state time and resources that are very limited in order to maybe win a case.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.