Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Back in may i got my first interview which i passed civics…

Customer Question
Back in may i...

Back in may i got my first interview which i passed civics and history exam. But now i received a letter saying i have to go back for a second interview. I dont understand why. I speak fluent english so i know its not that. I am married to a us citizen but o already had my green card way before marrying him. I do have an arrest but it was a misdemeanor and the court closed case in my favor. And i also provided the certified court dismissed letter. What can they possibly want? I am so confused. My second interview is tomorow ao no chance to hire a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
10/1/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

A second interview usually means that USCIS has some additional questions about your marriage, and want to sure that it is a bona fide marriage, ie. not a sham marriage for immigration purposes.

Ideally you should have your attorney with you at a second interview.

You should however be prepared with some additional documents when you go in tomorrow, to demonstrate that your marriage is in fact genuine.

Some supporting documents you can bring to demonstrate the veracity of your marriage would be evidence of joint accounts, evidence of property owned together, bills or credit cards in both of your names, copies of birth certificates for any children you have in common, pictures, or receipts from trips, dates, or gifts.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

how can they think that my marriage isnt bona fide if i already had a green card for years now. How can marrying a us citizen now after having my green card for over 15 yeas before getting married , affect this process? Isnt this more because of my arrest?

Sorry for the delay, I was away from the site until now.

What was the original basis for your green card? Was this through sponsorship from another relative? Or employment basis?

Also, what was the misdemeanor offense? This shouldn't affect your naturalization, although there are a few misdemeanor cases that can (crimes involving moral turpitude).

I'll wait to hear back, thanks!

Hi, just checking in to see if you'd still like help getting your questions answered.
It's free of charge to respond to any questions I may ask you, think of this more as a back and forth conversation.
Let me know if you'd still like my assistance, thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer