Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a friend that lives in ghana how can I get him to…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend that lives in ghana how can I get him to come to visit me in the United States

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just help me to help my friend and what information from my friend do I need for the lawyer. And how long can he stay

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
10/1/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing my response for you, thanks!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Your friend would need to submit a petition for a tourist visa to the US embassy in Ghana.

This is the address and phone number for the embassy to schedule an appointment and where he can get more information on obtaining the forms for the tourist visa application:

No. 24, Fourth Circular Rd

+233 30(###) ###-####/p>

The length of validity of the visa is determined when he receives the approved visa.

The length of stay for his trip will be told to him by the CBP officer upon his entry to the US -- generally a stay is granted for up to 6 months.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Thank you. Do I need to do anything to help him come here
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

He needs to fill out the tourist visa application in Ghana and go through the application process there.

However there is a form that you can fill out here -- Form I-134 from USCIS -- that works as a financial sponsorship form for him.

Basically it's used to demonstrate to US immigration authorities that you have enough funds available to finance his trip, and so he won't become dependent on US government funds to support him in any way while in the US.

You can access the I-134 form and instructions here:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

This form is not mandatory for his tourist visa application, but it can sometimes be helpful in getting his visa approved.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

thank you
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to click 'Finish' and use the stars/ smiley faces to leave a positive rating for me. Thanks so much!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago