Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am in a situation right now and I would like you to have a…

Customer Question
My name is***** .I...

My name is***** .I am in a situation right now and I would like you to have a glance at my case and would appreciate your advice on how do I deal with it now.
At present I am working at an IT company (Employer B) as a fulltime employee. I pursued my Masters from University Of Houston and I graduated on May 2016 and my first one year OPT period started on June 19th 2016 so that means I have to apply for my STEM OPT EXTENSION on or before June 19th 2017 for which I had to get Form I-983 filled/signed by my employer and fill up few other documents and send it to my college and then in return my college would send me a new I-20 which I would have to attach to my rest of the documents and post it to USCIS. All this process is time taking. Until May 2017 (which is during my first one year of my OPT period) I was working with different employer (Employer A). Back then in May 2017 I could have applied for my STEM OPT EXTENSION through employer A but my employer was not ready to do my I-983 form and I had no choice except to change my employer, this is when I started looking for other job opportunities and found one with Employer B who was ready to do my I-983 Form.
My job with employer B started on June 5th, 2017 for the first two days I was attending orientation and onboarding process at Atlanta office of employee B which consumed my half of the first week , so for the rest of my first week I started filling out my extension related documents and due to busy schedule of my manager/supervisor it took until like June11th, 2017 for my manager to fill it up and send it back to me and on June 12th I have sent all the documents filled by employer and by me to my college/university international Student’s office. My college/university reverted back with the new I-20 generated on June 13th, 2017 but there was no one to pick it up for me on the same day so I had to give authorization to one of my friend to pick it up for me on June 14th, 2017 evening and I got scanned copy of my new I-20 emailed to me.
Next day which is June 15th, 2017(Thursday) I hurried up and posted all my documents to USCIS through USPS express overnight delivery. The address which I was supposed to post was a post box address of USCIS from where USCIS would pick up my packet. My packet which has all the documents was available in the USCIS Post Box and was ready for pickup on June 16th, 2017 as per my tracking history from USPS. Tracking history shows my packet reached on June 16th, 2017 (Friday) and USCIS didn’t pick it up until June 19th, 2017(Monday).
On June 19th, 2017 (Monday) which is my end date for first year of my OPT in the early morning hours my tracking showed me that someone from USCIS had picked it up and signed on the USPS receipt that they received it.
I guess concerned guys at USCIS opened my packet on June 20th, 2017(Tuesday) which is the next day to my end date and have mistakenly recorded it as the day they received my packet. After 10 days I have received my Notice of Receipt from USCIS saying they received my packet on June 20th, 2017 (Tuesday).
I immediately rang up to USCIS Customer helpline and explained to the representative about my case and he said since they receive huge number of packets on each day it would not be possible for USCIS to open all the packets on the same day so they would open the remaining packets on the next day and would record that day as received date and the representative said that there is nothing to worry, representative also told me that immigration officer who ever is going to evaluate my case would consider received date as the date mentioned on the Notice of Receipt.
I was worried that my case would be denied considering the received date and I reached out to my advisors at college/university and explained them with what happened and asked them about what to do to let USCIS know that I have sent them my packet on time and that they have recorded my received date as wrong. Advisors asked me to wait and

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Right now no

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/29/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

What is your question? Are you asking if USCIS will consider the application as received timely?

Judith

i have a set of questions at the end of the text i sent you

We do not receive text messages.

I would like to answer the questions but do not know what they are.

Judith

can you go through the attached doc ......it has everything explained with questions
did you go through the attached doc
?
Ely, Counselor at Law