Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If as international student I apply for the marriage card…

Customer Question
If as international student I...
If as international student I apply for the marriage green card and it’s denied, does that invalidate my I-20 or make me ineligible for OPT after graduation?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/29/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Did the student stop going to school or stop working on the OPT employment authorization? In other words, did the student continue to do everything required on the OPT throughout this process?

Continuously going to school with valid I-20 and planning OPT after. Want to ensure a failed green card application wouldn’t negatively affect my I-20 or OPT

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: As long as you have maintained that status, the denial of the adjustment of status does not affect it, UNLESS the USCIS has informed you otherwise.

Note that it might affect your eligibility for a nonimmigrant visa or status since you've shown your intent to immigrate to the US. But as far as affecting your current status, no, the denial does not negatively affect your I-20 or OPT.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!