Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have been married to someone for the past 3 years, after…

Customer Question
I have been married to...
I have been married to someone for the past 3 years, after he arrived to the US on a K-1 visa. I discovered that while I was pregnant and waiting for him to arrive, he had another girlfriend on the side, which I did not find out until 3 months before his arrival, after waiting for him for 2.5 years. We followed through with the Visa, because he promised me he had nothing with her, but after our marriage ceremony I received confirmation that he was in fact in a relationship with this other woman while I was pregnant with his child. In the several months that followed our marriage, e was not physically affectionate with me or intimate- he treated me as a roommate, at best. After 3 months of "marriage" I requested to cancel my sponsorship, which was granted, and after 7 months apart, I decided to give him another chance due to his incessant pleading and promise that he "truly" loved me , and applied for a K-3 visa which was granted. During this period of time of waiting for the approval, he was kind and loving towards me, but after the interview process he reverted back to the way he was wen he arrived. He has been physically, verbally, and emotionally abusive with me from the beginning. I have had to call the police on him several times. He engages in fraudulent activity, such as buying and selling cars with out a dealers license, conceals financial information (gets paid mostly in cash), sends unreported monies to his country of origin- untaxed- which I didn't find out until recently, and is financially unsupportive of his child. He has access to several cars at any given time, and does not keep plates on them, or interchanges the plates, and does not maintain car insurance on any of his vehicles, which is illegal in the state of California. Out of the three years he has been in America, we have lived together for a total of 10 of those months, at most.
I cannot continue to accept being the sponsor of such an individual, and the idea that I would need to continue sponsoring him once we get divorced is not something I think is fair, given his actions. Can I report marriage fraud based on above mentioned information?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/29/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your immigration and criminal law matter today.

If you originally sponsored that person's visa and/or green card in the US you aren't obliged to continue the sponsorship and can refuse to attend any USCIS interview such as the I-751 interview to remove conditions on the temporary residence of a spousal immigrant.

Marriage fraud is a federal offense and can be reported to your local District ATtorney's office for investigation. Immigration fraud is reported to ICE.

You can ring their hotline or make an anonymous tip here:

https://www.ice.gov/

If your partner was involved in criminal activity in relation to licensing and number plating of multiple cars you should contact local law enforcement who will investigate.

The IRS can be informed of tax frauds here:

You can send a letter here from the address given:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-you-report-suspected-tax-fraud-activity

Criminal activities, including crimes of moral turpitude are grounds for deportation of non-US citizens so once investigated a suspect is often handed over to ICE for deporation proceedings.

We are here to help.

Please follow up with me if you need any additional information or clarification.

In return remember to rate positively today.

A positive rating gives me a credit for my answer to you, and this is what I'm working for.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Thank you for your help. I have sent a letter to the IRS, as you suggested, along with the for to report tax fraud.
I contacted ICE, but they referred me to USCIS to report the marriage fraud- I'm just confused as to how they assess if it's fraud or not?
If the relationship wasn't bona fide prior to the application it can be assessed for fraud.
A marriage conducted for immigration benefits alone is fraud.
Yes, just a reminder to rate positively. You do this by rating 5***** 4 or accept.
This will give me a credit for my assist.
Thank You
Attorney Bill