Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My F-1 expired, but my I-20 is still current. If I want to…

Customer Question
My F-1 expired, but...

My F-1 expired, but my I-20 is still current. If I want to apply for marriage greencard, do I need to do it while I-20 is current? Or do I have 60 days after I-20 expiration to do apply?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
9/29/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Yes you will be able to apply for a spousal sponsored green card and for an adjustment of status.

Yes, you can do so during the 60 day "grace period", however if at all possible, it's better to file your I-130 and I-485 prior to the expiration of your I-20.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thanks. If I apply for the marriage green card and it’s denied, does that invalidate my I-20 or make me ineligible for OPT after graduation?

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer