Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Can I adjust status after marrying a USC in the US while on…

Customer Question
Can I adjust status...

Can I adjust status after marrying a USC in the US while on my ESTA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Immigration Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

INA 245a normally precludes an ESTA participant from applying for an adjustment of status; however, there is an exception for immediate relatives which would include a spouse. Freeman v. Gonzales 444 F3d 1031 discusses ESTA and adjustment of status issues.

The agency will presume that if a marriage is entered into within 30 days of arrival it is fraudulent; if within 60 days it is suspicious.

They will also examine intent upon arrival since it is a temporary status and if the agency determines that was a fraudulent representation they can bar the applicant from remaining/returning.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.