Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I want to kinow what I can do to obtain permanent residence…

Customer Question
Hi. I want to...

Hi. I want to kinow what I can do to obtain permanent residence here in America. I was born here of diplomatic parents but later left with them back to our home country. Im back now here to America but I cant obtain citizenship

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No i dont have any

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No lawyer yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that will be it for now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

ok thanks

Unfortunately the children of foreign diplomats, even though born in the US, do not obtain US citizenship by birth.

See:

https://cis.org/Birthright-Citizenship-Children-Foreign-Diplomats

There are however other means for obtaining US permanent residency.

I can prepare a brief overview of these other options and send them to you below, so that you can review them and see which may be applicable to you. US immigration law is organized in such a way that there are specific, limited categories for migration, and in order to be approved, you must meet the eligibility requirements.

Here is the list:

(1.) Immediate relative category
This is used if you have a qualifying immediate relative that can petition for you.
Immediate relatives under USCIS include a US citizen or permanent resident spouse, fiance, parent, child (over the age of 21), or sibling.

The form used for filing this petition is Form I-130.

You can find more information here:
https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

(2.) H1B employment visa
This is used if you have an advanced degree or otherwise specialized training in your particular field.

The H1B must be petitioned for by the employer, not yourself.

At the end of your term on the H1B visa, the employer has the option to file a petition for your permanent residency.

You can find more information here:
https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-dod-cooperative-research-and-development-project-workers-and-fashion-models

(3.) EB5 Investor visa
This is an investor visa that allows you to permanently move to the US.

You must be starting or investing into a new business venture.

There is a minimum requirement for the investment amount, which is $500,000 USD.

You can find more information here:
https://www.uscis.gov/eb-5

Those are the options for permanent residency to the US.

There are also a few other options for temporary stays in the US, such as:

(1.) a B2 tourist visa
(2.) an F1 student visa
(3.) an E2 treaty investor visa

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer