Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I got married over the summer I was wondering how to go

Customer Question
Yes I got married...

Yes I got married over the summer I was wondering how to go about changing the name on my visa

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Single no

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

In order to get your name changed on your visa, you'll need to contact the US Embassy for the country from which your visa was issued.

An official list of embassy locations is available from the State Department at this link:

https://www.usembassy.gov/

Make an appointment to appear in person at the embassy that serves the area in which you live.

Requirements vary by country, so you will need to ask the embassy for details. The documentation you'll be required to bring in include your current valid visa, and marriage certificate or proof of name change.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 10 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!