Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was a fulltime MBA student with an F1 visa married to a…

I was a fulltime MBA...
I was a fulltime MBA student with an F1 visa married to a H1B holder whose Green Card is under process. I started interning this summer on CPT and applied for COS to H4 and EAD concurrently. y CPT is valid till Dec 8th,2017. I got to know today my H4 and EAD have been approved(received notice in mail) and my EAD card has been mailed. My lawyer received my I797A today.Can I continue working till I get my EAD in the mail?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

You are working for the current employer while you are on CPT, correct? And you want to continue to work for them until you get the EAD wherein you will continue to work for them after you get the EAD?

i will continue to work for them after getting the EAD.

Then that should not be a problem. There would be no gap in status or employment. So at this point, since the H-4 status has been approved and the EAD has been approved, start working for your current employer as if you already had the EAD in hand. It will get to you in a few days or a week or so, but technically you are in H-4 status now. If your employer freaks out about it, then just keep working as if you were on CPT until you get the EAD.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

I am currently working under CPT I got my I797A Notice of Action for H4 approval and I797 Notice of Action for EAD approval by mail today. The notice also says my EAD was issued on Sep 20th, I am yet to receive it.

Ok. No problem. Please review my answer. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!